Wow! I’m writing my very first blog as a contributor for Fox Valley Technical College. I have butterflies in my stomach like I did the night of my first piano recital in the 3rd grade. Well, I guess having performance anxiety is better than being apathetic about the experience!
When I was approached about writing this blog, I was incredibly humbled and appreciative. After all, not too many 40-something aged women get the opportunity to go back to college after 20+ years, let alone blog to the Internet populous about the experience. I’m thrilled to have the ability to do both.
I hope that you’ll find my posts interesting, informative, and fun. I promise to do my best not to bore you to tears with rants about new “battle scars” I’ve received….you know….the all-too-common burns and knife cuts that nearly every culinary student earns at SOME point. I think that I’ll keep the fact that I’ve earned more than my fair share of battle scars a secret! Instead, I hope to give you a glimpse into the challenges I’m facing AND the fun I’m having on my journey through higher education. Here’s a brief run-down of what you can typically expect to read about on this blog:
- I’ll share some of my cooking knowledge and recipes with you… leading you into temptations that your hips and thighs may never forgive you for. You’ll learn just how different cooking in a commercial facility is from cooking in a home kitchen!
- I’ll fill you in on the challenges that face the typical middle-aged college student. Financially, emotionally, and educationally, you’ll learn how I’ve battled through and blazed new paths towards my success.
- You’ll journey outside of the FVTC kitchen with me, and we’ll spill out into the hallways, exploring areas of the school that you may not realize even exist. You’ll hear about events and activities that I’m taking part in, both on campus and off.
- You’ll find links to resources that have assisted me in my journey towards a happy destiny. For example, my life of living frugally began out of necessity, but has now become a passion to better my life AND the lives of others. I’ll show you just how I’ve managed to pinch my pennies while juggling textbook purchases, tuition, and typical living expenses. I hope that you’ll benefit from the ideas and suggestions that I post.
- I’ll also share resources that I’ve found to assist me with educational funding, and show you ways that I’ve enriched my mind, body, and spirit while in school.
Please feel free to leave comments on any portion of my blog, even if they contain constructive criticism. I’m of the belief that a successful day is one in which I’ve learned or grown as an individual, helped to better the life of another human being, and/or made a positive difference in the world. If you have suggestions or ideas on how I can improve this blog, I’d love to hear from you! Let’s travel down this road towards happy destiny together, shall we?